Table of Contents
Girl, have we got a treat for you. Build muscle, feel the burn and slay a workout whenever, wherever you want – all with resistance bands workouts.
The humble resistance band shall not be underestimated, girl.
When in the right hands, a resistance burn can deliver a sweet muscle burn that’s enough to make a grown woman cry to the iron goddesses. Luckily, you’re in the right hands here at SMG.
We’ve got everything you need to know to get the most out of a resistance bands workout. From how to perform each movement, to reps and sets, we’ve got you covered. Now you have no excuse to not fit in an all over body workout when you can’t get to the gym. You. Are. Welcome.
- Why are resistance bands workouts so damn good?
- Resistance bands workouts
- The final word
Why are resistance bands workouts so damn good?
We’ll tell you one amazing magical thing about resistance bands girl – they never give you a break.
Every time you pull on a band, it’s pulling right back against you. It sounds super obvious, but trust us, you don’t get this in every workout. For example, when you’re doing a bench press, you’re actually in a rest position at the top and bottom of the movement. With a resistance band, those tiny muscle fibers are constantly getting their burn on, as you pull against it.
If that wasn’t enough, you can pack one of these babies into your bag and bring it anywhere with you. That’s basically like having your own portable gym, girl. We’ll say it again: You. Are. Welcome.
Check out these resistance band workouts and feel it for yourself.
Resistance band workouts
Ok girl, we’ve focused in on different body parts to help you get your burn on. Simply pick one of the areas and go hard. Wanna smash legs day? No problem, take your pick. Feel like slaying arms? Hit it, girl, get your stretch on.
Choose from one of these sets of exercises and you’ll have a resistance bands workout that will leave you crying out for more. Or just crying.
Aim to perform between 10 and 18 reps of each movement and go for 3 sets before moving on to the next exercise. Work quickly and keep the intensity high, without slacking on form. If it’s too easy, find a heavier band or throw in an extra set at the end.
Legs and booty
Perfect your booty and get an all over leg burn with this leg and booty workout that revolves around one thing… you guessed it. A resistance band.
- Take a long, looped band or long, non-looped therapy band
- Stand on part of the band with your feet at shoulder width apart. If you have a therapy band, try to leave an equal length on either side
- Pick up the ends of the band and hold them just in front of your shoulder, just as you would if you were performing a barbell front squat. Ensure it’s taut enough for you to feel the burn when you squat. If there isn’t enough tension, adjust your grip and pull on the band more until it’s more challenging
- Keep your chest high and fight against the pull of the band as you send your butt back and down as you squat
- Stop when your hip crease is aligned with or slightly below your knees, then push up through your heels to stand
- Lie on your side with your knees and ankles together and a resistance band place just above the knees
- Keeping your feet together, your hips still and your bottom knee on the floor raise your top knee so your legs are opening like a clam
- Stop when you’ve raised your knee as far as it can go, or when it reaches vertical, then return it slowly to the start position
- Lie on your back with a resistance band placed just above the knees
- Place your hands against your side and position your feet so they’re flat on the floor and about half a foot apart
- Pushing through the heels and squeezing your glutes together, push your hips upwards
- Keep your knees pushed out against the band and squeeze your butt at the top of the movement, when your body is a straight
- Slowly return your butt to the ground
- Sit on a bench or chair with the resistance band safely secured to the bottom
- Place your foot on the floor and loop the other end of the band around your ankle
- Keeping the rest of your body still, straighten your leg at the knee, pushing against the band as it pulls on your ankle
- At the top of the movement, your leg should be completely straight. Squeeze your quad at this point
- Return your foot to slowly the floor
Lateral band walks
- Place a band just above your knees
- Step out sideways so your legs are about shoulder-width apart
- Bend at the knees and drop your butt down a little so you’re in a half squat. Go deeper to feel the burn even more
- Step one foot out sideways, so you’re in a wider stance, then follow with the second foot so you’re back at shoulder-width apart
- Repeat these for the set amount of reps before swapping legs
Chest and shoulders
You’re in for a burner of an upper-body workout with this chest and shoulders resistance bands workout from SMG.
Banded push up
- Lie on your front with your hands rooted on the floor just outside your shoulders
- Take a band and position it under your hands and looped behind the shoulders and upper-back
- With the weight on your knees or toes, push up through your hands until your arms are fully extended. Keep your core tight throughout so your body is a strong, straight line
- Bend your arms and slowly return to the start position
- Stand with your feet over the center of a large looped band and ensure there is an equal length at either side
- Grip a length of band and bring your hands up to your shoulder
- From here, push directly upwards until your arms are fully extended as if you were doing a strict overhead press
- Slowly bend at the elbows to return to the start position with your hands at your shoulders
- Lie face up on the floor or a bench with a band looped around your upper back, gripping an end in each hand
- Start with your arms at either side of your chest or just above if you’re lying on the floor
- Push both hands directly upwards at the same time
- Bend at the elbows and slowly return to your start position
- Stand with your feet over the center of a large resistance band, leaving an equal length at each side
- Grip the band at both sides and stand up straight with your hands at your sides
- From there, bend slightly at the elbows and raise both arms up and outwards
- When your arms are parallel with the ground, slowly return them back down to your sides
Get an incredible back session in, without lifting a single weight with this back focused resistance bands workout.
Bent over row
- Stand with your feet at hip width apart and part of a looped resistance band under your feet
- Bend over and pick up an equal length of band at each side
- Gripping the length of band, bend the knees slightly and hinge at the hips until your upper body is just above parallel to the ground.
- Keeping your upper body still, pull the band up until your hands touch the outside of your chest on either side
- At this point, squeeze your upper body together before slowly returning your arms to the start position
Lat pull down
- Find an overhead anchor for your resistance band. A horizontal bar or even a sturdy tree branch do fine. Just don’t go pulling your curtain rail down, girl.
- Loop the band over the anchor
- Kneel in front of the band, gripping it with your arms extended up overhead
- Bending at the elbow, pull the band down on either side until your hands are on the outside of each shoulder
- Slowly return to the start position with your arms extended overhead
- Grip two ends of the band and hold it out straight in front of you
- Moving both arms outward at an equal rate, pull your hands apart as far as you can
- Slowly return to the start position
- Sit on a chair with your legs straight out in front of you. For extra support put them up against a wall
- Hook your band around the center of your feet.
- Grip an equal length on each side and sit up straight
- Keeping your torso still, pull back on the band, bending at the elbows until your hands are touching on either side of your chest
The final word
Change the pace of your workouts and never miss a session when you’re on the go with these seriously challenging resistance bands workouts from SMG. From booty to shoulders, we’ve got your whole body covered. All you need to do now is go out and grab one of these seriously versatile pieces of kit.
What are you waiting for girl? Get your stretch on!
Inspired to hit more mental reps? Check out these other guides for girls who lift: